At Southern Coastal Homes we truly believe that building your dream home is a collaborative effort. Your home should be a reflection of you and the things you love. It should be thoughtfully designed to reflect the way you want to utilize your spaces. We listen closely and help to translate your ideas into your vision.
We pride ourselves on building a spectacular home at a fair and reasonable price and we firmly believe you will find our company fair and transparent. Anyone can build to a plan. It truly gets down to our commitment, mastery of craftsmanship, attention to detail, focus on quality, and quite frankly… trust between the client and the builder.
We encourage you to start a discussion. We would love to help.
1. Our Builder. Scott Middleton, has been in the home building industry for over thirty-five years. He is a CPA by education and training and understands the numbers with a level of detail that our competitors do not. He looks at your home through a completely different lens. Each home is a unique investment in our client’s portfolio – He will recommend steps that will not only make fiscal sense in the present, but yield strong financial rewards in the future.
2. Our Financial Security. During the last recession, SCH was one of the few builders in this area who did not shut its doors, re-organize or rename their organization. Southern Coastal Homes did not default on any loans or file for bankruptcy. We are financially sound and have a long and extremely successful history with the banking professionals in this area. We are happy to provide references.
3. Our Team. Our company is strategically comprised of a select group of talented and experienced professionals. We are organized in a manner to best service and communicate with you throughout your build. We draw upon these strengths to deliver expertise and unparalleled service.
4. Our Responsiveness: From the day you initially contact SCH, to the day we hand the keys to your new home, you will absolutely know you are a priority to our organization.
5. Our Size. In the current market, it is easy to become too big. And too big = poor service. We are selective about the builds we accept and the volume which we handle. Our objective is to ensure that each client receives the time and attention they expect and deserve.
The short answer is…. it depends. While the question seems simple, the answer is quite complicated.
We price our homes as “turnkey” – meaning the house is fully complete, meets all Architectural Review Board (ARB) requirements if applicable, and is ready for move-in.
Some of the variables which impact cost per square foot:
- Elevation of the lot you own (or choose)
- Site work required prior to construction (tree removal, clearing, fill dirt/elevation)
- Height of foundation required to meet building code
- Type of foundation
- Septic vs. sewer
- Amount of total square footage
- Amount of square footage on the first floor
- Total size of the “footprint” (to include porches, lanais and patios)
- Complexity of the structure – some homes at equal square footage are simply more cost effective to build than others
- Number of bathrooms
- Number of kitchens
- Construction quality, cost of materials and cost of labor
- 2 x 4 construction vs. 2 x 6 (we build with 2×6)
- ARB/community requirements, fees and permits
- Length and grade the of driveway as well as materials/labor
- Size of porches
- Type of insulation – blown, batt or foam
- Type of windows
- Garage size and number of bays. Detached vs. attached.
- Type of roof (metal vs shingle) and complexity of the roof system
- Type of exterior (masonry, stucco, HardiePlank) as well as exterior features such as exposed rafter tails
- Trim level and grade of interior options such as flooring, cabinetry, and ceiling treatments
We pride ourselves on staying both on budget AND on time.
We have a well staffed team who is fully equipped to handle every stage of your build. We take a very thoughtful and strategic approach with our new contracts and do not take on every single build. As a result, it allows us to efficiently deliver your home in eleven to twelve months after we receive your building permit.
The front end of the building process is rather linear – we need to navigate the design process with our architect, create a site plan, landscape plan, drainage plan, color board etc. and navigate the architectural review board within each community, etc. All of these elements must be completed prior to applying for the permit. As of April 2022, you should allow 7-8 months for the pre-permitting process.
Of course! A large percentage of our clients do not live locally but have decided to relocate to the beautiful Lowcountry.
You will be in close contact with your Project Manager who will keep you continually abreast of your progress. This includes lots of progress photos and plenty of communication. We have the sharpest project managers in the industry and they understand this is your dream home.
Yes. We receive fantastic referrals from agents and are incredibly appreciative when they send a new client our way. You’ll both be warmly welcomed. However, if you don’t have a real estate agent, our team is well trained to listen and guide you through the entire process.
We can definitely help you with this! We have a very small collection of our plans represented on our website. Please give us a call or email email@example.com. If you can give us a few parameters in terms of square footage, number of bedrooms and baths, general budget and any lot information, we can make some excellent suggestions. And if we don’t find the perfect fit, we can work with both you and our design team to conceptualize and draw something perfect.
Southern Coastal Homes has enjoyed incredible success building custom homes all over the spectacular Lowcountry.
While this list is certainly not exhaustive, we have built (or are currently building in): Palmetto Bluff, Gascogine Bluff, Sea Pines, Long Cove, Colleton River, Port Royal (HHI), Berkeley Hall, Hampton Hall, Palmetto Hall, Heyward Point, Indigo Run, Moss Creek, Rose Hill, May River Preserve, Stock Farm, Old Town Bluffton, Spring Island, Wexford and on both the May and Okatie Rivers.
If you haven’t found a lot yet, we can certainly help you. And if you already own one, even better.
Let’s get started!
Yes, Southern Coastal Homes handles large-scale renovation projects. Please reach out, we’d love to help.